Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Summer Dress Code Dilema

Summer Time At The Office

This topic was inspired by a wonderful friend and HR professional who is the proud owner of the funniest, driest senses of humour I have had the pleasure of working with. We have known each other many years now and our conversations have often left anyone within earshot roaring with laughter because we share a common practical sense about work that well, obviously to us, is not so common. When she approached me to blog about appropriate summer dress in the office, you have to know it took me several drafts to finally achieve a blog that I could be assured would not send readers running for the hills.

Oh the joys of summer! Especially when in Canadian urban centers where it can be minus 40 Celsius one day and then a wonderful balmy plus 25 Celsius the next. Please be assured I am not specifically singling out Calgary weather systems here but I know it must seem like I am. During these warm weather seasons our thoughts turn to ditching the beloved winter parka to allow our skin to breath, feel the warm breeze across our limbs and faces, bask in the warm glow of our office fluorescent lighting daydreaming about our lunch time walks or after work activities. I love and look forward to the new summer fragrances of sunscreen and mosquito repellents that float through the office. Many Canadian cities only experience this summer time warmth for two months at best so I think we go kind of crazy as soon as we are able to take the winter boots and socks off for a while. As a manager for many years I have struggled with this topic of appropriate dress code in the office but summer was my most difficult dress code season. At least in winter, most of us liked to keep our delicate bits and limbs covered to prevent frost bite. I never worried about flip flops, beach sandals too often in spite of the fact I live on the West Coast. Workers in winter typically do not want frost bite on their toes so boots and much more appropriate foot wear was chosen.

Dress Codes at Work

I can honestly say that every company I have ever worked for or dealt with as a supplier has had a dress code. One of those picky details that I really singled out when I was in the staffing industry was obtaining the dress code of the assignment so that when I sent in a great contingent worker, they knew how to dress and fit in. I consider this to be very important because it is hard enough to go to work as “the temp” but to single yourself out wearing your favourite band t-shirt or suit would make your day even more interesting. So with that said, what is up? Back in the .com days, I was considered to be too conservative because well, most of those types of downtown companies did not really follow a dress code. Call Centres for a while allowed some very relaxed dress in their work environments as well. What they discovered was that a relaxed dress code led to some very relaxed customer service agents who did not fare well with their feedback metrics. Once this was changed and workers were required to follow a dress code, customer service improved a great deal. Funny how that happens!

Business Casual for summer in most companies means appropriate pants and skirts, some companies allow Bermuda shorts for women, shirts, sweater sets, blouses and proper footwear including dressier sandals for women, professional looking shoes for men. Lovely summer dresses are always welcome and of course there can be the new wonderful summer hairstyle. Some companies allow men to wear polo shirts as well as cotton “docker” style dress pants and there are some really terrific shoes available for men that are absolutely office appropriate. I know, I just bought a pair for my man and of course he hates them. I believe by October, he will learn to love them as much as I do.

The Summer Absolute No-No’s For Work

Please remember that this may vary from employer to employer but I am betting that it won’t. There are some absolute dress code no-no’s at work so here goes! Unless you work specifically for a yoga store, yoga pants, tops and the like are not corporate or professional. Leave these items home. Beach footwear, flip flops, ratty sandals should be banned! Also these types of shoes can also be against your companies WCB safety policy as well as your toes are not protected from injury. For men, I am begging you to leave your socks/sandals combos at home. Tube tops, plunging necklines, halter tops, billowing see through summer skirts and dresses again, not appropriate. I am not too sure your co-workers really want to see what you have got going on. Also there can be a hazard with white pants or skirts and you’re delicate under fashions. Please make sure the colors match as this can be very distracting for your co-workers!

Shorts are a subject that sends chills down my spine. Like skirts, these little numbers have varying lengths even for men. For my step dad being a good Northern European man, he often confuses his shorts for his speedo! Oh bless him, they can be that short. (With legal consent, I will post some photos of this). Booty shorts, denim cut off shorts, short shorts, skort shorts, bike shorts (yes I have seen bike shorts in the office) , you name it – please keep them home. Same goes for the summer short short skirt. Which could double as a belt in winter.

I completely understand your need to have some fresh air, get a bit of a tan (remember your sunscreen), and just enjoy the joys of summer in the city or wherever you live. Be professional with your clothes at your job. There are two wardrobes at play here and seldom are the pieces interchangeable for the sake of your professional image and how you want your co-workers to view you. Professional at all times affects more than the “I am one styling worker here” image. It also can have an effect on future career advancement within your company. Dress and deportment go hand in hand with your credentials and great products of your work. I cannot remember the last time I saw Susie Polka Dot Sundress leading a board meeting or Surfer Dude board shorts do the same.

If you are interviewing on a job this summer, all of the above applies to you... Good luck this summer and remember your mosquito repellent and sunscreen depending upon which region of Canada you live in!